Keeping a survival knife while camping is essential to ensure your safety. But it serves in ways more than just that. The best survival folding can be used in many ways and come in handy. Here are some of our favourite picks for the best survival knife for camping 2022!
Best Survival Knife for Camping 2022
Strong, practical, versatile and easy to use, this lightweight model has a fairly short, sharp, partially serrated and pointed blade made of stainless steel. In all, it measures approximately 20 cm. Its rigid handle includes nylon and fiberglass holes for better comfort. It includes an automatic and efficient locking system, and can be attached to a belt. Users emphasize its good support and its practical opening, but they deplore its general metallic appearance.
Even if it does not guarantee to cut large objects, it serves well during your fishing sessions or your excursions in the mountains. Among its strengths, we note its maneuverability, its grip and its solidity despite a plastic handle. Its blade has a good sharpness but it does require maintenance if you want to avoid rust. For its price, it’s hard to beat this easy-to-use and efficient model.
This fixed blade knife is very large. Ideal for outdoor use in the forest, this is one of the best survival knives Esee. It ensures a good grip, especially for those with large hands. Despite its weight, the curve for the index finger makes it easier to steer and it is very sharp. In addition, the blade is corrosion resistant and it comes with its holster, belt clip and it is even possible to place a wrist strap.
This fixed blade knife is very large. Ideal for outdoor use in the forest, it offers good grip and ensures a good grip, especially for those with large hands. Despite its weight, the curve for the index finger makes it easier to steer and it is very sharp. In addition, the blade is corrosion resistant and it comes with its holster, belt clip and it is even possible to place a wrist strap.
Best Survival Knife for the Money: OUR TOP PICKS
|Our Pick, Best Mid-Range||Best cheap||Best high end||Cheap alternative|
|CRKT M-16 12Z||Mora Companion MG||Esee ES6PB – Model 6||Mora Companion Spark|
|Even if it is more difficult to sharpen, this survival knife makes it possible to tackle tougher elements thanks to its semi-serrated blade. In addition, it is easy to hold and open.||Easy to handle, it is practical for troubleshooting during occasional outings. Its blade is sharp enough to cut small objects and it is unanimous thanks to its affordable price.||It is the most suitable for carrying out forestry work. It is large and comfortable in the hand. In addition, it cuts through the most difficult elements perfectly, without damaging or hurting the blade.||Designed with strong materials and resistant to exterior and moisture, this all-in-one system is easy to use, versatile and its value for money, especially thanks to the flint.|
Best Survival Knife for Camping:
Fallkniven A1K: Efficient but very expensive. This survival knife still weighs 305 g but has a very thick 6 mm blade made of VG-10 steel with 420 stainless steel sides. It therefore resists corrosion and absorbs vibrations thanks to Kraton, an efficient material. Its case is compact and discreet and inside, its blade does not rub against the walls. However, the rubber of the handle can get damaged and its price is quite high.
How to choose the best survival knife for camping?
Essential tool to embed in your hiking bag or keep handy in your camping tent, the survival knife can be used for several tasks. But their mere appearance does not always make it possible to understand what they are really used for.
So, to help you in your efforts, we have grouped together the important criteria to know about these survival tools:
- The type of knife : the hunting knife is a fixed blade model of more than 15 cm, quite pointed and sharp. the tactical knife, originally intended for the military, responds to specific situations. Fixed or foldable, its blade is no more than 10 cm. Note that the fixed knives are often more solid and resistant than the folding knives, but the latter have the advantage of being more compact.
- Lame : its size varies depending on the type of knife and its use. It can be smooth or partially notched. The clip point has a cut point, a bit like a saber. The spear point has a symmetrical tip. The so much is equipped with a point similar to that of a secateurs. The needle point is extremely sharp, while the trailing-point has a rising curve at the end of the blade.
- The length : the longer your blade, the easier it is to cut and split, but the more difficult it is to control it, to make very precise cuts, or to cut wood, for example. An 8 to 12 cm blade is more suited to precise maneuvers, to small notches. But if you want a good compromise and a versatile blade, go for an average length of 15cm.
- Blade steel : this element will define the durability of your knife, its resistance to wear and extreme conditions. There are two types of steel: steels which oxidize, and which contain carbon, and stainless steels (more popular). Steels that oxidize are not corrosion resistant, but are stronger, tougher and easier to sharpen. There are also some stainless steels that make the knife very strong, like AUS-8 or CPM3V Steel.
- The handle : to prevent slipping, it should ideally be provided with a non-slip rubber-type coating. The balance between the handle and the blade must be optimal to promote maneuverability and give more or less power. The materials used will determine its resistance to cracks, shocks or even extreme conditions. For lower cost and good strength, fiberglass composite materials such as popular G-10 or Zytel are preferred.
- Ergonomics : we sometimes deplore a lack of ergonomics in the opening and closing of the knives. These two deployment operations must be fluid and not interfere with the reactivity of the object because in an emergency, this can have consequences. Automatic locking is generally very popular since it offers better stability. This option is noticeable on folding knives.
- Additional features : some models are sometimes equipped with disguised functions. Thus, they offer to change blades and adapt to all situations. Likewise, they can sometimes be transformed into a lance (practical for fishing) or include the window breaker function. Of course, all of this contributes to the overall ergonomics of the knife.
- The accessories : the case must be of good quality and at all costs avoid friction with the blade so as not to damage it. It often contains a fastening system allowing it to be placed at the waist, belt, foot, etc. A sharpening stone is used to restore sharpness to the blade while the lighter is useful for making a fire. If no accessory is provided for sharpening, do not hesitate to consult our dedicated selection.
To be more in line with our readership, we did not go too high in the budgets.
NB: If you are looking for a more compact model, we invite you to consult our article on best folding knives where the best swiss knives.
- Business Insider, The best bushcraft and survival knives, June 30, 2021
- T3, Best camping knives 2020: thrive in the wild with these compact and tough blades, June 30, 2021