Top 4 Best Walkie Talkie for Hunting 2022
Midland G9 Pro
With features and performance pushed to their maximum, this model is ideal for hunting professionals. It has a large screen and transmits both high and low power.
This is the most advanced device in our selection in terms of performance, including eight frequency bands and 38 CTCSS. Its resistant components (IPX4) allow excellent signal capture. It comes with a maximum battery life of 36 hours and more advanced features such as the ability to make emergency calls. It transmits up to 10 km over open areas. Rather pleasant to handle, it includes a large, easy-to-read screen.
Retevis RT388 (2 pieces)
Offering the best value for money, this model is intended for children. Easy to use and handle, it is still equipped with several useful functions such as the VOX system or a flashlight.
These devices are among those competitively priced while being complete. Between their refined ergonomics and their different functions, they are perfect for a first familiarization. Lightweight and compact (8 x 6 x 15 cm), they are easy to handle. They use 8 channels with a frequency of up to 446 MHz. Their range is up to 2 km in open areas. In addition, they include an LCD screen. On the other hand, the 4 AAA batteries for each model are not included and you do not have any private channel.
It promises coded and clear communication with its two-band system. It is ideal for hunters and athletes wishing to communicate in an emergency thanks to a specific alert without spending too much.
This model boasts excellent coding capabilities (more than the Midland G9 Pro) and frequencies to deliver secret and precise conversations. It benefits from emergency functions in the event of a problem. There are many modes to improve its ergonomics and promote better exchange. It finds its source of energy thanks to a supplied battery and displays multiple compatibility to increase its power. Finally, it is approved by the European body. Its 24 hour battery life is appreciated. On the other hand, we find it unfortunate that there is no indication of the scope (even if the users are happy with it).
Motorola T82 Extreme
With a range of 10 km, we like its ability to easily pair with another walkie-talkie for group calls. Its functions make it more suitable for professionals and adventurers.
With a good grip despite being the heaviest in this ranking, this high-end device benefits from increased resistance to outdoor conditions (IPX4 like the Midland G9 Pro) and to shocks. With its good range, 16 channels and 121 private codes, it promises good transfer and good communication. It includes an LED lamp, an emergency button and guarantees frequency scanning. In addition, its screen is easy to read and offers excellent maneuverability.
|Our choice, Best high end||Best cheap||Best midrange||High-end alternative|
|Midland G9 Pro||Retevis RT388 (2 pieces)||Baofeng UV-5R||Motorola T82 Extreme|
|With features and performance pushed to their maximum, this model is ideal for hunting professionals. It has a large screen and transmits both high and low power.||Offering the best value for money, this model is intended for children. Easy to use and handle, it is still equipped with several useful functions such as the VOX system or a flashlight.||It promises coded and clear communication with its two-band system. It is ideal for hunters and athletes wishing to communicate in an emergency thanks to a specific alert without spending too much.||With a range of 10 km, we like its ability to easily pair with another walkie-talkie for group calls. Its functions make it more suitable for professionals and adventurers.|
|CHECK PRICE||CHECK PRICE||CHECK PRICE||CHECK PRICE|
Best Walkie Talkie for Hunting:
Midland XT10: A cheap alternative. Powered by three batteries, this model operates with eight channels, 38 PINs and eight programmable codes on a frequency of 446 MHz. Sold in pairs, it includes VOX, Scan and Roger Beep functions. Easy to use, it is designed for leisure use and suitable for children. Relatively light, it is easy to handle. However, its performance is slightly lower than that of its competitor and this is particularly noticeable in terms of its range of up to 4 km.
How to choose your walkie talkie?
Walkie talkies seem to have disappeared a bit in recent years, especially with the evolution of cell phones. But they remain the most reliable solution for communicating in the middle of the forest or in areas with random network coverage.
To help you make a choice that suits your lifestyle, here is a buying guide outlining the main criteria to take into account:
- Maneuverability : this item is influenced by the size and weight of the device. Generally, prefer lightness and compactness so as to guarantee a good grip. If it is intended for a child, make sure that they can grasp it with ease and understand how it works. Moreover, the more you go up in prices, the more complex the use becomes.
- The quality of capture : performance in terms of listening quality revolves around the number of communication channels, private codes and model frequency. The higher these values, the better the transmission and the greater the range. Some environments are particularly susceptible to interference, but better components are able to counter it. The double TT button transmits in high and low power.
- Fonctionnalities : several functions can be found within the same walkie-talkie. The roger beep announces with an audible noise the end of each speech and facilitates the exchange. Other features such as the LCD screen or the LED lighting lamp are welcome. The presence of a VOX button provides hands-free use. The Scan automatically searches for channels. Finally, the use of a dual channel allows a dialogue with two people at the same time. Emergency calls are also a common option.
- Charging and autonomy : There are products sold without batteries included. Traditional alkaline batteries are not the most practical and economical. Fortunately, most machines use Lithium batteries which charge via USB (which is, in our opinion, the best possibility). Some give you the choice between traditional batteries or rechargeable. As for autonomy, it must be able to cover the duration of your journey. Ideally, it should exceed the 12 hour resistance.
- Resistance : this partly ensures the versatility of the model. Several are certified with an index of protection. The PI is made up of two digits: one which indicates the level of protection against solid particles such as sand and dust (from 0 to 6) and a second which communicates the resistance to water (from 0 to 9). It is also necessary to check the robustness to counter violent shocks.
- Digital Trends, The best walkie-talkies for 2020, September 15, 2020
- Outdoorgearlab, The Best Walkie Talkies and Two-Way Radios of 2020, September 15, 2020