Top 4 Best Folding Knife of 2022
Our Pick, Best Mid-Range
It is in terms of its grip, its comfort and its handling that it has the most advantages. Thanks to its versatile blade, it also defends itself well in performance.
With its good overall quality and careful ergonomics, the CRKT Drifter has few faults. Indeed, it is adherent, comfortable in the hand and easy to handle. In performance, it ensures with its versatile and highly resistant blade that takes care of the precision of the cuts. Its slightly reduced size leads us to believe that it is perfect for delicate and meticulous tasks. During our testing, we were impressed with its build quality and good handling.
The different folding knives we tested.
We first checked the dimensions of each model.
We subsequently carried out tests on the grip of the handle.
We also focused on the opening and closing mechanism.
We have done different tests to judge the material quality.
Finally, we have taken into account the accessories supplied which may, for example, facilitate transport.
Gerber Paraframe Mini
Easy to handle, its small size allows you to work with precision on small objects, and to take it everywhere with you without the slightest discomfort. In addition, it does not get damaged.
This model made entirely of stainless steel perfectly combines quality and durability, including a solid lock. Lightweight and ultra-compact, it is ideal for small tasks and offers certain facilities, especially in terms of transport. Thanks to our tests, we confirm the good impressions of buyers on its quality / price ratio. Although opening it requires the intervention of both hands and is not suitable for large cuts, it guarantees a clean and precise edge, and is easy to maintain.
Best high end
Benchmade Mini Gryptilian 556
In addition to its handling and design quality, it is one of the most reliable in terms of safety and one of the easiest to handle thanks to its ingenious opening system.
Lightweight and comfortable, this model has proven, during our tests, that it is as easy to transport as it is pleasant to hold. First, because it does not slip, then because its different opening and locking mechanisms give it excellent ergonomics and finally, for its versatility and cutting precision. In short, it has everything you would expect from a pocket knife. Its great strength and durability make it the perfect tool for your daily tasks, if you are willing to pay the price.
Spyderco Tenacious C122gp
Its quality, its mechanisms of use and its good adhesion make it easy to use. Its performance is excellent regardless of the size and nature of the obstacle.
As useful for DIY as for everyday life, this folding knife has advantages in terms of handling and ergonomics, despite its weight and size (much larger than those of its competitor). It includes a simple and fluid opening mechanism, and benefits from an excellent grip. But where we were convinced in our testing is its tough design and cuts that deliver excellent results, even on rough medium to large sized components.
Best Folding Knife 2022:
Our Top picks
|Our Pick, Best Mid-Range||Best cheap||Best high end||High-end alternative|
|CRKT Drifter||Gerber Paraframe Mini||Benchmade Mini Gryptilian 556||Spyderco Tenacious C122gp|
|It is in terms of its grip, its comfort and its handling that it has the most advantages. Thanks to its versatile blade, it also defends itself well in performance.||Easy to handle, its small size allows you to work with precision on small objects, and to take it everywhere with you without the slightest discomfort. In addition, it does not get damaged.||In addition to its handling and design quality, it is one of the most reliable in terms of safety and one of the easiest to handle thanks to its ingenious opening system.||Its quality, its mechanisms of use and its good adhesion make it easy to use. Its performance is excellent regardless of the size and nature of the obstacle.|
|CHECK PRICE||CHECK PRICE||CHECK PRICE||CHECK PRICE|
Tacklife FK03: Solid and efficient but imposing, heavy and sometimes slippery. It offers good durability over time, without requiring major maintenance efforts. Simple to use, it benefits from simple operation and it has a high cutting potential for easy and precise slicing of large objects. On the other hand, it is less suitable for delicate tasks and those who sweat a lot from the hands because its handle is sometimes slippery. But it is undeniably an interesting tool for your outdoor activities.
Benchmade Mini Bugout: Efficient, ergonomic, comfortable, but very expensive. This ambidextrous and durable model provides excellent grip, and it features a convenient opening and reliable locking. It is versatile in size and shape. As a result, it is suitable for survival as well as for your daily tasks, although it performs better for more precise cuts. Despite everything, considering its price, it is a very good knife for daily use but no need to invest so much for a few occasional cuts.
How did we test the best folding knife on Amazon?
After checking all dimensions and the weight of each model, we looked directly at the grip sleeves. Since we don’t generate excessive sweating on our hands, we smeared oil and cream on our hands to judge their grip.
Of course, we asked for different hand shapes, but just as well distributed between right-handed and left-handed.
Then we dwelled on the opening and closing mechanism. We tried with one hand and with two hands when necessary, and we measured the practicality and the solidity of the system. locking at the same time.
To assess the sharp and the quality of cuts, we have taken different elements to cut which require different intensities of force and several types of cut due to their volume or nature. From then on, we tested each knife with an apple, onion, pineapple, rope, cardboard, tree branch, meat and as a sharpener.
This allowed us to see what it was possible to do according to their size and also to analyze the precision and the blade resistance, especially in terms of strength and corrosion.
Finally, we also took into account the accessories provided, which is interesting for transport or maintenance, for example.
How to choose the best folding outdoor knife?
Folding knives are an integral part of everyday troubleshooting tools. Even though they are less solid than survival knives traditional, they are more compact and therefore have the advantage of being more transportable. Among the many models on the market, which ones are best suited to your use?
We have established a list of criteria to check when purchasing:
- Lame : its size varies depending on the type of knife and its use. It can be smooth or partially notched. The drop point is the most versatile. The clip point has a cut point (a bit like a saber) and offers a better edge. The spear point has a symmetrical tip. The so much is equipped with a point similar to that of a secateurs. The needle point is extremely sharp, while the trailing point has a rising curve at the end of the blade. To keep the edge of the blade, remember to sharpen your knife regularly using a sharpener.
- Blade steel : this element defines the durability of your knife, its resistance to wear and extreme conditions. There are two types of steel: steels which oxidize, and which contain carbon, and stainless steels (more popular). Steels that oxidize are not corrosion resistant, but are stronger, tougher and easier to sharpen. There are also some stainless steels that make the knife very strong, like 8Cr14MoV or S30V.
- The handle : to prevent slipping, it should ideally be provided with a non-slip coating. The balance between the handle and the blade must be optimal to promote maneuverability and give more or less power. The materials used determine its resistance to cracks, impacts or even extreme conditions. For a lower cost, and a good robustness, one prefers the composite materials resulting from fiberglass such as G-10.
- The opening : each brand develops its own technology to carry out this process. The Thumb Stud is a button that allows you to open the knife with one hand. The Thumbhole is a hole that is used to remove the blade from the handle. The Flipper is located on the back of the knife and when you pull it the blade deploys. Finally, the Nail Nick is a small notch from which you can place your nail.
- Locking : The Liner Lock is a mechanism during which a short steel rod blocks the blade. The Frame Lock system works in the same way but with a more solid structure. The Back Lock consists of pressing a pump located on the handle. The ferrule mechanism uses a ring placed between the blade and the handle. Finally, the Axis Lock comes from Benchmade and works with a spring and an axis that comes across to lock the blade.
- Additional features : some are sometimes equipped with disguised functions. This is particularly the case with multifunctional pocket knives. They can take the form of a knife but also a nail file, screwdriver, scissors, toothpicks or even tweezers. However, this type of tool is often less sharp.
- The accessories : In most cases a pocket clip is supplied by the manufacturer. Some are reversible to give you the choice of placing your knife on the left, right, up or down.
NB: if you are more in search of a Swiss army knife, we invite you to consult our dedicated comparison.
- Outdoor GearLab, Best Pocket Knife of 2021, June 15, 2021
- Wirecutter, The Best Pocket Knife, June 15, 2021