If you’re looking for the best hiking shoes that are not only super comfortable but also fit for your adventure-filled hike, you’re at the right place! Here we’ve reviewed the top 4 hiking shoes that can easily be the best hiking shoes for you.
Best Hiking Shoes to Buy in 2022
Salomon X Ultra 3 GTX
It is one of the lightest and most comfortable pairs on the market. Its lacing system is innovative and you get the necessary grip on all types of terrain and in all weathers.
Aimed at lovers of technical trails and fast hikes, this pair of hiking boots (also available in a high version) dominates the market thanks to their comfort and ergonomic design. It has excellent grip and optimum grip on different soils and terrain. The brand struck a big blow by displaying unparalleled lightness, and flawless waterproofing. Its EVA foam sole and ortholite foam protect your foot, while its lacing system is practical.
Quechua MH100 Mid
This eco-designed model is for lovers of small occasional outings. It combines grip, comfort and waterproofing. It shows remarkable reliability in this price bracket.
These lightweight hiking shoes are excellent value for money. Intended for beginners or avid hikers who make short monthly outings, they promise good grip, optimal support and great comfort. They face the rain with excellent reliability and keep your feet safe while ventilating them sufficiently. In addition, they are eco-designed, which will appeal to nature lovers.
Salomon Quest 4G 3 GTX
Very popular on the market, these hiking shoes are the most robust and the most suitable to protect you from cold and rainy weather. In addition, they combine comfort and grip.
These hiking shoes deliver on their promise of premium quality with a water and scuff-resistant design to cope with harsh weather conditions. Waterproof and reliable on more technical and colder hikes, they absorb shocks well. In addition, they offer a lot of stability and comfort with their double layer of EVA foam. Although they are a bit heavier and narrower, they provide good ankle support.
Merrel Moab 2 GTX
Their greatest qualities lie in the freedom of movement and the space they offer to the toes. Keeping your feet at the right temperature, they are a great alternative to the Salomon X Ultra 3 GTX for the summer.
Designed for regular or occasional hikes or simple walks, the Merrell Moab 2 GTX have multiple reinforcements to keep your feet stable and supported. They resist puddles and maintain good body heat in moderate climates. Their crampons have good grip and their air pocket absorbs shocks. The interior is comfortable and spacious, giving a pleasant freedom to the toes. However, they are a little heavier than their competitors. Note that they also exist in a tall version, whether for men or women.
Best Hiking Shoes for Wild: Our Top Picks
|Our Pick, Best Mid-Range||Best cheap||Best high end||Mid-range alternative|
|Salomon X Ultra 3 GTX||Quechua MH100 Mid||Salomon Quest 4G 3 GTX||Merrel Moab 2 GTX|
|It is one of the lightest and most comfortable pairs on the market. Its lacing system is innovative and you get the necessary grip on all types of terrain and in all weathers.||This eco-designed model is for lovers of small occasional outings. It combines grip, comfort and waterproofing. It shows remarkable reliability in this price bracket.||Very popular on the market, these hiking shoes are the most robust and the most suitable to protect you from cold and rainy weather. In addition, they combine comfort and grip.||Their greatest qualities lie in the freedom of movement and the space they offer to the toes. Keeping your feet at the right temperature, they are a great alternative to the Salomon X Ultra 3 GTX for the summer.|
|CHECK PRICE||CHECK PRICE||CHECK PRICE||CHECK PRICE|
Best Shoes for Hiking 2022:
Keen Targhee III : A waterproof and breathable model. Released in 2019, these low shoes made of leather succeed the somewhat aging second version. They are intended for hiking and trekking. They are comfortable in view of the space they leave at your feet. Their sole allows them to maintain good stability and excellent support in the face of obstacles in different terrains. However, the laces tend to come out of the eyelets.
Altra Lone Peak 4.0. Comfortable and extremely light shoes. These comfortable shoes (280 g) have a mesh that offers good ventilation, and a flexible sole. The latter has an ideal grip for occasional hikes. First designed for trail running, your feet are well supported. However, they are not 100% waterproof in that they are not reliable in countering heavy downpours. And if they undergo a heavy load, they wear out quickly.
Lowa Renegade GTX : Waterproofing and comfort. Their Monowrap structure is designed to provide walkers with ideal stability, cushioning and grip, via their Vibram Evo non-slip sole. Their flexibility should be emphasized, as is the resistance of their fabric. They are warm enough to be worn in colder weather conditions, but lack a bit of ventilation in midsummer. In addition, the sole is subject to certain vibrations.
How to choose the best hiking shoes for walking?
Despite the many technological innovations and increasingly versatile models, choosing a pair of hiking boots is often an adventure in itself.
We have therefore determined the essential points to take into account before purchasing:
- Comfort : the shoes must be perfectly adapted to your morphology in order to offer you good support. Flexibility and support strongly influence this factor. The lighter they are, the less tired you are. Ideally, the feet should not be subjected to any friction and for that, we advise you to choose a ½ size larger than your usual size.
- The sole : in terms of their rigidity, know that they generally soften after the first use. The sole provides grip and stability: it is chosen mainly according to the type of terrain on which you are hiking. Also check the midsole, for good cushioning.
- Impermeability : To keep your feet dry in wet or bad weather, you should opt for waterproof shoes. The most efficient models currently are equipped with Gore-Tex (or GTX). It should be noted that this technology also means a higher budget. Warning: it is on the side of the seams that we most often find faults.
- Breathability : Few hikers like to find their feet soaked in sweat. It is therefore important to choose shoes designed with breathable materials, especially if you are happy to hike in summer. Nonetheless, a breathable material is, in essence, difficult to reconcile with waterproofing. It is common for shoes demonstrating optimal ventilation are not waterproof. In return, they are light shoes, often in mesh, which dry very quickly.
- The type of shoes : some can tackle more mountainous and technical paths, while others are devoted to “simple” walks. Among the four main types, there are the shoes ofapproach (climbing), of Trek, from trail (more flexible) andmountaineering (for extreme conditions). Depending on your ankle, you have the choice between high models, which offer more support, or low, which allow more freedom.
- Lacing : the lacing system influences the support of your feet. Hikers appreciate their good handling. Sometimes they are thinner and can be stored away so as not to clutter the upper part of the shoe.
If you want to complete your hiking equipment, we invite you to take a look at our hiking backpacks, US trekking poles and our Hiking GPS. And if you are a beginner in the matter, we have concocted some valuable advice to help you succeed on your first hikes.
- Quechoisir, Hiking shoes comparison, August 5, 2020
- Outdoor GearLab, Best Hiking Boots for Men of 2020, August 5, 2020
- T3, The best hiking boots in 2020: walking boots for every need, from the hardy to the hi-tech, August 5, 2020
- Wirecutter, The Best Hiking Boots, August 5, 2020