The Best Urban Backpack
Designed with a resistant interior and exterior fabric, it has a breathable back panel and allows versatile daily use (city, excursion, etc.). Spacious, it has a capacity of 22 L and is fairly well organized with its four compartments and two side pockets. The padded compartment includes an elastic band to protect a 15 ”computer. The cover also allows it to be slipped on a suitcase with wheels. Its padded shoulder straps make it comfortable to wear and it has a zipper.
The Herschel Little America is multi-purpose since it can be used as much for a hike as for going to work or more simply for commuting. Despite a lack of interior pockets and sometimes difficult access, its large content (25 L) is sufficiently protected by multiple closures (cord, straps, etc.). Made of imitation leather textile with a fleece lining, it displays good quality while providing a certain comfort to its user.
Made of canvas and linen with cotton lining and leather details, it has a good design and has a large capacity (26 L). Its finishes are solid and intended for everyday use. Aesthetically, it does not fail to please. The distribution of its pockets as well as its closures are designed to secure your personal belongings as much as possible. Even though its unpadded shoulder straps are less comfortable, it has an ideal size according to its buyers.
Made of polyester with a bottom bottom with an anti-abrasion coating, it feels sturdy for everyday versatile use (although some buyers are questioning). Thanks to its water-repellent material, it keeps your things dry. Not cumbersome, it is very practical in that it incorporates numerous storage pockets (two large, one side and one upper). In its padded compartment, it accepts a 15 ”computer. Despite everything, its sporty look can be disturbing and it has a lower capacity than its competitor.
|Our choice, Best inexpensive||Best midrange||Best high end||Cheap alternative|
|Travelite Basics backpack||Herschel Little America||Brooks England Pickwick||Under Armour Ua Roland Backpack|
|In addition to its good size, its fabric is solid and it benefits from an optimal organization for urban outings or for all kinds of activities. In addition, it is comfortable to wear and practical.||As useful for hiking as it is for your daily commute, this large bag secures your belongings thanks to its numerous closures. Its padding is very comfortable.||Designed with qualitative materials and beautiful finishes, it takes care of its ergonomics to effectively secure your property. Overall, it’s perfect for carrying a lot of stuff.||Its water repellency guarantees flawless impermeability. Besides, it takes up little space, but it is mainly its affordability that makes this versatile bag so attractive.|
Eastpak Out of Office (€ 45.47 upon publication): Very spacious but not completely waterproof to buyers’ eyes. The particularity of this bag is its large capacity of 27 L which can notably contain a 13 ”laptop. It consists of a main compartment with a spacious front pocket. With a weight of around 500g, it is quite comfortable especially since it includes shoulder straps and a padded back. Its zipped closure allows easy access to the contents. On the other hand, the latter is a little fragile.
Fjällräven Kanken (€ 98.92 at the time of publication): An aesthetically successful design but not quite comfortable and less spacious. Made of tough Vinylon F, it’s as useful for city hiking as it is for lessons. This fashionable bag adored by young adults stands out above all thanks to its colorful and square design. While it is relatively small, it is well organized with easy access. And even if it’s not the most comfortable, it’s at least light to wear (around 500g).
DB Journey Backpack (189 € at the time of publication): Elegant but already heavy when empty. Made of 200D polyester and PU leather, it displays an elegant and qualitative appearance. To have had it in hand, according to our first impressions, it is a versatile bag since it is halfway between an urban bag, a computer bag and travel bag thanks in part to its straps frontal. The numerous internal mesh pockets make it easy to organize storage and it is comfortable to wear because it stays upright and protects your back.
How to choose your urban backpack?
Less comfortable than travel bag but also less bulky than a sports bag or that a hiking bag, the urban backpack is an everyday item of equipment. Since there are so many on the market, the choice is difficult and it is unique to each user.
Therefore, starting from a list of criteria makes more sense to make a safe investment. Here are the elements to which you must be attentive:
- The materials used and the quality of the finishes : polyester and nylon are the most common. We distinguish different types of polyester, the density of which is expressed in denier (D). Generally, these will determine the lightness, resistance and impermeability of the bag. Beyond 400D, you can consider the material to be tough. As such, finishes also have a role to play and you can judge their value through the quality of the zippers, the strength of the seams and fasteners, and the abrasion resistant panels.
- Storage : the classic structure of an urban backpack, it is a large compartment with a front pocket. It is also common for it to be equipped with two side pockets. There are then optional more or less practical storage: complementary kit, interior mesh … An interior zip pocket is always practical for storing valuables.
- The capacity : an overloaded bag can get holed. As always with a bag, capacity is measured in volume. If the manufacturer does not indicate it, you can determine it by a quick calculation: length x width x height. The choice depends, logically, on the material you have to transport. In general, the capacity of an urban backpack is around 20-25 L.
- Closures : zippers are the best way to ensure an effective closure when the bag is heavily loaded. An ergonomic and wide closure gives you easy access to the contents but be careful not to lose things. Less reliable, the drawstring closure is also considered but it is frequently coupled with a strap closure to effectively prevent theft and it is less easily damaged.
- Comfort : child or adult, there is an absolute rule to choose a backpack which consists in adopting a width less than or equal to the width of the back. In terms of weight, it is better to opt for an ultra-light vacuum model. In addition, the comfort depends on the straps and reinforcements. These must distribute the load well. Padding on the shoulder straps and back is always appreciated. But take care that it does not cause sweating.
- The style : aesthetic appearance is usually an important criterion for buyers. Not only does it catch the eye, but it complements your dress style. Some prefer sobriety to a flashy design (often seen with Fjällräven bags) but one thing is certain, this criterion is specific to everyone’s tastes. This is also the reason why manufacturers usually offer different colors.
PS: rather looking for a backpack to go back and forth between home and work? Our selection of computer backpacks may interest you.
- Business Insider, The 10 backpacks our team swears by for long commutes and weekend tripsJuly 06, 2021
- Outdoor GearLab, Best Backpacking Backpacks of 2021July 06, 2021
- T3, Best backpack 2021: for school, your commute, or travelJuly 06, 2021